eWānanga LMS lets pouako set up an Assignment with a variety of settings. For example:
- Your pouako can control whether you can make only one submission or can re-submit files, and whether you can upload files after deadlines have passed.
- Some assignment types let your pouako return a submission with comments for revisions. You can then upload your revisions by returning to the link for the assignment.
- Assignments can be for “offline” activities such as a classroom presentation or printed paper, in which case you will not submit anything on eWānanga LMS, but your pouako may use the eWānanga assignment for grading and feedback.
Your pouako can use a standard assignment, which looks similar to this:
Or, they may give you a Turnitin assignment, which looks similar to this:
Note: The names of the assignments given above are examples only. Your pouako may use different names for your assignments, but you can clearly identify assignment activities by their icons.
This page describes the standard assignment. For instructions on submitting a Turnitin assignment, see: Submit a Turnitin assignment.
Submit a standard assignment
You may be asked to attach files or enter text directly into a text box.
Note: If your pouako is asking you to upload a file, they should inform you what file format you should submit (eg., .pdf, .doc, .pptx or .docx).
- Links to assignments can always be found in the sections down the center of the eWānanga LMS course page.
- Click the link to the assignment. The Assignment page will open, showing instructions and your Submission status (date submitted, grade, etc.) for this assignment.
- Click Add Submission. The Assignment submission page will open. Depending on how your pouako set up the assignment, you may have the option to submit file(s) or enter text in a text entry box.
- To enter online text, type directly into the Online text box. Alternately, you can compose your submission in a word processing program and then cut and paste the text into the text box.
- When pasting text into eWānanga LMS, for best results paste the content as unformatted text.
- For spell checking to work, it must be enabled through your browser. Once enabled, to see spelling suggestions press hold Control key on your keyboard and click OR right-click on your mouse (whether you are using a Mac or PC system will determine which operation will work).
- To submit a file using drag-and-drop:
- Arrange your computer desktop windows so that you can view both your browser window and your files on your computer (e.g., in an open folder or on your desktop).
- Drag files from your computer, and release them on top of the big blue arrow in the Files area.
- To browse for a file:
- Under File submissions, at the top-left of the file area, click the Add… icon (). The File picker window will open.
- Select a file from your computer, or from OneDrive:
- To upload a file from your computer, click Upload a file (at left), then, next to Attachment, click Choose File. Browse your computer and select a file, then click Open. The file name will appear next to the Choose file button.
- To upload a file from OneDrive, click Microsoft OneDrive (at left). You may need to log in. Find and select the file to upload.
- (Optional) If you want to rename your file in the file picker, type the new name in the Save as field, and make sure to include the correct file extension (.pdf, .doc, etc.) in the name so the file can open correctly for your pouako.
- Click Upload this file. The File picker will close and an icon for your uploaded file will appear in the Files area.
- Once your file(s) appear in the Files area, click Save changes.
- Your pouako may allow you to revise your submission. Click Edit submission to add or replace files, or edit a text submission. When you are finished making changes, click Save changes.
- For some assignment types, you will see a Submit assignment button. To finalize your submission, click Submit assignment, then Continue. Once finalized, you will not be able to make any more changes without asking your pouako if you can resubmit.
- You can check under Submission status on the Assignment page to ensure your file is listed. You can also view feedback and grades from your pouako there.
Note: You should also receive an email at your umass.edu mail address confirming you have submitted the assignment.
- For some assignment types, you may have the option to submit several or an unlimited amount of attempts (or drafts) for a single assignment. Because each course is different, you will need to communicate with your pouako on how submission attempts and feedback are configured for each eWānanga LMS Assignment.