Turnitin helps pouako assess the originality of student work and ensure the proper citation of references by comparing students’ electronic documents to a variety of online sources and to the Turnitin database. The software then creates an “originality report” that rates submitted assignments and highlights text that appears in its databases or elsewhere on the Internet
- Turnitin can be used within eWānanga LMS or as a stand-alone application. Different pouako may ask you to submit your assignments through either location.
- In eWānanga LMS, pouako can ask students to submit “Turnitin assignments.” Or they can collect papers in a regular eWānanga LMS assignment, then use Turnitin to evaluate submissions on a case-by-case basis.
Note: Awanuiārangi protects students’ intellectual property by storing all course papers in a dedicated Awanuiārangi database. This database is not searchable by other schools that may subscribe to Turnitin. Only Awanuiārangi faculty can search our student papers and only for the purpose of grading course assignments.
Submit a Turnitin Assignment in eWānanga LMS
- Click the blue link of the Turnitin Assignment 2. This is indicated by the red arrow in the image below (in this case 2nd Semester Thesis):
- Next, you will be taken to the My Submissions tab:
- Note the Due Date. You will need to submit your final assignment before this date and time. In the example above, the due date is midnight on the morning of April 19th, 2016. You will need to submit your final assignment by 11:59pm on 18th April, 2016 to get it in on time. If you try to submit your assignment after the due date, you may not be able to upload your assignment and you will need to contact your kaiako to ask for an extension.
- You can upload your assignment as many times as you like – right up until the due date. This is so you can check your work for plagiarism as many times as you need to. To avoid palgiarism, you must reference your work correctly. Please contact your kaiako or Awhi Tauira if you need help with referencing.
- Click the little Submit Paper link at the bottom right of the screen, as indicated by the red arrow in the example above.
- Next, you will be presented with the Submit Paper screen:
- Fields marked with a red asterisk (*) are required (i.e. you must put something in them).
- Give your submission a name/title as indicated on the example above. Perhaps use the full title of your assignment or thesis.
- Click the browse button indicated in the example above to browse your computer for your assigment. This may be in Microsoft Word or PDF format. If you prefer, you can also drag the file directly onto the window with the big blue arrow.
- Before you can add your submission, you must agree to the disclaimer indicated in the example by a checkbox.
- Once you have agreed, click Add Submission.
- After your docment has uploaded, you will be presented with a Digital Receipt. If you are happy with this click the black Close button:
- Congratulations, you have successfully submitted your Turnitin Assignment to eWānanga LMS! You will immediately receive an email to confirm receipt of your assignment.
- Once your submission has been processed, eventually you will see a Similarity score in the next window. Please be patient – very large documents can take a long time, it all depends how long your document is! You can click ‘Refresh Submissions’ as many times as you like until your Similarity score appears:
- If you want to check any detected plagiarism in-depth, simply click on the Similarity indicator illustrated by the red arrow in the image above.
- Remember, you can alter and then re-submit your assigment as many times as you need right up until the due date! Simply go back to step 5 of this tutorial if you need to know how to do this.